At the end of World War II, the company was left with no military business. In fact, there were thousands of Dixon couplings that were still in the Columbus Depot that were being disposed of for commercial use. It was necessary for Dixon to double its sales efforts to regain much of its distributor business which had gone elsewhere during the war.
In 1951, H.W. Goodall became ill while on a sales trip to California and died ten days after his return. His son R.B. Goodall, who had worked for Dixon since 1929, became the President and Chief Operating Officer. Dixon continued to grow and prosper under his leadership.
In 1952, Dixon purchased Buck Iron Company. Eventually, this company would become Dixon's major source of malleable iron, brass, aluminum and ductile castings for it's hose couplings. Today, Buck Iron Company, located in picturesque Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, employs 400 people and supplies most of Dixon's casting needs. That business, however, represents only a small part of Buck Iron's total casting sales.
During the 1950's, Dixon pioneered the use of non-metallic hose fittings. The Tuff-Lite line of nylon fittings was revolutionary and had much success in agricultural, food and medical applications through the years.
Throughout the 1960's and 70's, Dixon continued to grow by adding branch locations throughout the country in an attempt to provide overnight service to its customers. In 1974, an agreement was made with a leading manufacturer of Wormgear Clamps to sell its products. This venture proved to be extremely successful and was the first major product sold by Dixon that it did not design and manufacture. Today, while still manufacturing most of the products it sells, Dixon markets many hose couplings and related accessories at very competitive prices for other manufacturers.
In 1976, Dixon moved from its facilities at 2nd and Columbia in Philadelphia. Today, the company is located on 10 acres in historic Chestertown, Maryland [shown on left]. In 1980, Dixon entered the Cam and Groove market by applying for a patent on a fitting with a safety locking handle. This product became known as "Boss Lock". In 1985, the assets of the Le-Hi Andrews Division of Parker Hannifin were purchased, thus providing Dixon with the Andrews line of Cam and Groove fittings.
In 1988, R.B. Goodall's son, R.L. Goodall, became President of the company. The senior Mr. Goodall died in 1994, and R.L. Goodall took over as President and Chief Operating Officer.
Lou Farina became president of Dixon in 2001, R.L. Goodall continues as CEO. Lou started working in Dixon's mailroom in 1959 following in the footsteps of his father who retired as manager of shipping and transportation after 55 years of service.
In 2010, Bob Grace succeeded Lou as President of Dixon. Bob had spent the prior two years under Lou as the Executive Vice President. During this time, Bob was also the Vice President and General Manager of the Dixon Fire Division. Bob began his career at Dixon in 1989 as the Distribution Manager.
Dixon is committed to maintaining its role as a leading innovator in the hose and coupling industry. We continue to build on our solid foundation and commitment to supply quality hose fittings and accessories to our customers.
Copyrighted material. Use, reproduction or copying of it by anyone other than Dixon is strictly forbidden without its express written consent.
Copyright © Dixon Valve & Coupling Company 2013